About CC-Link IE
- Optimal network choice for complete manufacturing control up to the business information system level.
- CC-Link IE is a vertically integrated and Ethernet-based network from IT layer to field layer.
- Ultra high-speed & ultra large capacity network with real-time performance.
- Now offers Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) support with CC-Link IE TSN
CC-Link IE Features
Provides high-capacity information management and real-time control communication.
High-speed wide-bandwidth communication (1Gbps)
Provides safe, high-speed control when simultaneously sending quality and traceability data.
Integration of safety,motion control and energy functions.
I/O, safety, motion and energy control have been integrated into a single network.
Simple communication programming
Memory – mapped based communications
Easy system construction and maintenance
Standard Ethernet physical layer with added diagnostic functions.
Flexible topologies – star, line, mixed star and line, and ring setups
Building flexible IIoT systems
TSN is employed as a time sharing communication method. This enables gathering of information from system devices via IP while still ensuring that control communication is performed in real-time.
Introduction to CC-Link IE
High-speed Wide-bandwidth Communication
1Gbps communication speed
Bandwidth is divided between cyclic (synchronous) communications (I/O control, safety, motion, energy) and transient (asynchronous) communications (alarms, diagnostic data, etc.) with no impact on performance.
High-speed communications for improved production efficiency
1Gbps communication speed enables high-speed control of field devices and coordination among equipment. Shortens takt time.
Share safety signals throughout the network and among processes
By placing safety PLCs in each process on production lines and linking them with a CC-Link IE Field network (using safe communication functionality), should a safe shutdown occur in one process, the linkage will ensure safe shutdowns in neighbouring processes as well.
Synchronization with servo amplifiers and other devices
Motion control allows fixed-cycle synchronous communication with devices, such as synchronization with a servo amplifier.
Simple Communications Programming
Simple network system construction, with no need to set up connections
Data transmission is achieved with only parameter settings and programming that performs reading and writing to memory.
Easy System Construction and Maintenance
Leveraging globally-standardized technologies
Reduce costs using standard Industrial Ethernet equipment such as cables, connectors, and other physical layer equipment
Ethernet cable (CAT5e)
Ethernet Switch (1Gbps)
We add error codes to the frame and transmitted data portions in transmission frame formats. It’s now easier to detect problem areas in the event of frame data errors caused by cable malfunctions.
Application of network diagnostic functions
Downtime can be reduced when problems occur by quickly identifying problem areas on the network using standard tools.
The freedom to set up networks according to use case
Star, line, mixed star and line, and ring networks can be built simply by connecting cables to open ports.
Building flexible IIoT systems
TSN communication technology used as the time sharing communication method.
TSN (Time-Sensitive Networking) Ethernet communication technology is used as the communication method for time sharing. This makes it possible to gather information from system devices via IP while still ensuring that control communication is performed in real-time.
CC-Link IE Control
A wide factory backbone network utilizing Gigabit Ethernet technology.
CC-Link IE is designed to ensure a highly reliable network through the use of full duplex fiber optic transmission paths, delivering high-speed, large-capacity distributed control. It’s the backbone network that provides assured control of each field network.
Network Shared Memory for Cyclic Communication with Ultra High-speed & Ultra Large Capacity
- To achieve stable communication independent of transmission delay CC-Link IE adopts a token passing protocol for data transmission control.
- Each controller passes data to the network shared memory only when it has the token, ensuring fully deterministic and high speed real-time communication.
High-speed & Reliability by Redundant Fiber Optic Loop Technology
- By adoption of redundant loop topology, each station continues communication by looping back upon detection of a broken cable or station error.
- This integrated redundancy is provided without additional equipment and without increasing network cost.
Adoption of standard Ethernet cables, connectors and adapters
- Easy and world-wide purchasing of standard Ethernet cabling parts by using Ethernet technology.
- By using cable adapters, wiring debugging and installation can be started even if all the equipment in the line has not been fully installed.
CC-Link IE Control Specification
CC-Link IE Controller Network Specifications
The CC-Link IE Control network achieves a communication speed of 1 Gbps. It uses token passing as the data transfer control method. This prevents frame collisions, improving the throughput of communication. Therefore, it is optimal for networks where regularly scheduled communication is required.
CC-Link IE Field
Ultra-high-speed … supremely useable … seamless … and fully compatible with the Ethernet standards
We’re bringing the benefits of “Gigabit & Ethernet ” to the field level!
CC-Link IE Field is an ultra high speed & ultra large capacity network, which provides both synchronous deterministic (cyclic) communication and asynchronous on-demand messaging (transient) communication.
I/O control, motion control and safety functions can be combined seamlessly.
- Gigabit transmission and real-time protocol enables easy and reliable data communication and remote I/O communication independent of transmission delay.
- High-speed communication for the management information of the devices and trace information as well as the transmission of control data.
- Flexible network topology (ring, line and star are all possible)
- The network shared memory allows communication among controllers and field devices.
- Easy configuration and network diagnosis enables a total engineering cost reduction from system start-up to maintenance.
Easy network trouble shooting
Flexible network topology
CC-Link IE Field – Specifications
Ethernet Cable and Connector
- Since the physical and data link layers of the CC-Link IE Field Network use standard Ethernet technology, conventional cables, switches and hubs can be used.
- The availability of materials and selectivity of equipment for the network installation and adjustment are enhanced.
CC-Link IE Field – Specifications
CC-Link IE Field Network Basic
Realizing CC-Link IE communication using general-purpose Ethernet on field network applicable to small-scale equipment
CC-Link IE communication using general-purpose Ethernet technology which can be easily applied to small-scale equipment not requiring high-speed control and is easy to use and develop. Realizing cyclic communication on the CC-Link IE field network by software.
Cyclic communication on CC-Link IE field network is realized by software.
The system can be developed easily, and a wide lineup of applicable devices can be provided earlier.
The communication can be done simultaneously with standard Ethernet TCP/IP communication (HTTP, FTP, etc.).
Wiring for control is not required, and the Ethernet network can be unified.
The master station can be easily realized on IPC or personal computer.
The master station can be realized without a dedicated interface board.
Cyclic communication is implemented as application software on Ethernet based on sample source code.
A field network system compatible with standard Ethernet communication can be constructed at low cost.
System structure figure
CC-Link IE Field Motion
Synchronous control across the CC-Link IE Field network
Synchronous control can be configured by connecting a control station and multiple field devices on the same gigabit Ethernet CC-Link IE Field network.
Features of motion control
Synchronous communication is possible, in synchronization with the control cycle of a servo amplifier.
- Consecutive command-type servo amplifiers can be connected
- Advanced motion control, such as interpolation and synchronous control, can be achieved
1Gbps high-speed, broadband communications
- A transmission speed of 1Gbps allows high-speed communication with multiple field devices
- The bandwidth for cyclic communication for control purposes and transient communication for information transmission is separate, so cyclic communication performance is unaffected by any increase in transient communication load
Servo amplifiers and general field devices are connected in the same network to enable synchronous communication
- I/O and sensor devices can be controlled by arranging them on the same CC-Link IE Field network as servo amplifiers
The timing for processing user applications is distributed via network and shared by the control station and multiple field stations
Synchronous control across multiple field devices
Synchronous frames that are sent at a fixed cycle enable synchronous control of multiple field devices
CC-Link IE Safety
Safe field networks that leverage high-speed CC-Link IE data communications
CC-Link IE Safety is a safety field network of CC-Link realizing safe system architecture. High-speed communication of CC-Link IE is realized, and the same system can be mixed by safe control and general control. An existing network system can expand the safe control system easily.
CC-Link IE Safety Features
We can realize safe communication in transmission rate 1Gbps of CC-Link IE
- By high-speed communication of 1Gbps, we can build a safe system having high performance.
Safe control and general control can be mixed
- We can introduce a system of the safe control into a system of the general control.
Based on an international standard of the safe communication
- CC-Link IE safety communication satisfies the requirements necessary for SIL3 compliance, which are indicated in IEC 61508.
Safe control and general control can be mixed
The CC-Link IE system that implements safety communication comprises CC-Link IE stations (IE safety stations) equipped with safety communication functions and CC-Link IE stations (IE standard stations) not equipped with safety communication functions. Fig. 1 shows an example of a configuration.
The Table below shows the international safety standards corresponding to CC-Link IE safety communication. CC-Link safety communication satisfies the requirements necessary for SIL3 compliance, which are indicated in IEC 61508. In addition, CC-Link IE safety communication follows the basic concept of functional safety communication defined in IEC 61784-3.
Safety station internal
A safety stations connected to CC-Link IE Safety has IE safety communication layer. IE safety communication layer has one or more IESMAP (Master) and/or one or more IESSLP (Slave). IESMAP is a protocol machine establishing a safety connection with the IESSLP specified as its safety parameter and performing safety communication with the IESSLP. IESMAP always invokes a safety connection establishing process.
IESSLP is a protocol machine establishing a safety connection with the IESMAP sending a connection request from, and performing safety communication with the IESMAP.
IESMAP (IE Safety Master Protocol Machine)
A protocol machine establishing a safety connection with the IESSLP specified as its safety parameter after sending a connection request to the IESSLP; receiving a response from it; and confirming its identification, and performing safety communication with the IESSLP
IESSLP (IE Safety Slave Protocol Machine)
A protocol machine establishing a safety connection with the IESMAP sending a connection request from, and performing safety communication with the IESMAP
CC-Link IE TSN – NEW!
CC-Link IE TSN is the first to combine gigabit Ethernet bandwidth with Time Sensitive Networking (TSN). It has increased openness while further strengthening performance and functionality.
CC-Link IE TSN adds TSN to increase openness while further strengthening performance and functionality.
- In order to create smart factories, essential issues include gathering real-time information from production processes, processing it via edge computing, and then transmitting it seamlessly to IT systems.
- To realize smart factories, productivity improvement through higher equipment performance and functionality is essential, along with advanced motion control. This is especially true in advanced industries such as semiconductor and battery manufacturing.
- CC-Link IE TSN builds on the benefits of CC-Link IE by improving communication functions and synchronization accuracy. Demand for TSN support will therefore increase, as this technology makes it possible to mix different networks on the same trunk line and provide real-time communication through time synchronization.Thus the motion control capabilities have been significantly enhanced.
- CC-Link IE TSN enables seamless, smooth connection from upper level IT systems to OT systems at production sites, allowing the expanded use of a wide variety of applications in manufacturing.
Technical overview and utilization of open technology
(1) TSN technology and protocol layers
- CC-Link IE TSN’s protocol uses layers 3 ~ 7of the OSI reference model, building on the TSN technology located in layers 2.
(2) Communication methods
- Conventional CC-Link IE uses a token passing method. A station transfers transmission rights to the next station after transmitting its own data by transfer of the token.
- CC-Link IE TSN uses common time synchronized across the network. The input and output communication frames are simultaneously transmitted in both directions in a fixed time. Combining this method with TSN shortens the network cyclic data update time.
(3) Increased profile support & diagnostics
- By using CSP+, CC-Link IE TSN has added support for CANopen device profiles. For example, communication configuration using international standard IEC61800-7 (CiA402) can be done on motion control equipment.
(4) Support for general-purpose network diagnostic functions
- Widely used IT network monitoring tools such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), are supported by CC-Link IE TSN for network equipment fault diagnostics. The structure and statistical information of CC-Link IE TSN are defined as Extend MIB (Management Information Base) and network diagnosis is available using general SNMP supporting tools.
(1) Integration of control communication and information communication
- By giving a high priority to cyclic communication for device control and by allocating bandwidth preferentially over information communication, CC-Link IE TSN offers a network environment that communicates information with IT systems while controlling system devices with real-time cyclic communication.
- Devices using UDP or TCP communication (such as machine vision systems) can be connected to the network for high accuracy monitoring, diagnostics and analysis.
(2) Rapid system setup and advanced predictive maintenance
- CC-Link IE TSN also supports SNMP. With a general-purpose SNMP monitoring tool, both CC-Link IE TSN devices and IP communication devices such as switches and routers can be analysed together.
- The time synchronization protocol regulated by TSN is used to calibrate time differences between devices compatible with CC-Link IE TSN, keeping them synchronized with high accuracy. Time information stored in both master and slave devices is kept synchronized to the microsecond. If a network error occurs, this makes it possible to check operation logs and accurately trace events up to the error in chronological order.
- It is also possible to provide production site information and accurate time information to IT systems. This will allow AI enabled data analysis to provide further process improvement via predictive maintenance.
(3) Maximize the performance of motion control and reduce cycle time
- CC-Link IE TSN uses the time sharing method with time trigger and bidirectional simultaneous communication to achieve a cycle time of 31.25 μs or less. This not only minimizes the total cyclic time even when production line expansion requires adding sensors or servo axes, but also provides a cycle time performance advantage compared to conventional CC-Link IE networks.
- CCLink IE TSN allows for multiple communication cycles to be used within the same network. This makes it possible to optimize communication cycles depending on the characteristics of each device.This can also maximize the potential of slave devices on the network and improve productivity throughout the entire system.
(4) More options for device vendors
- CC-Link IE TSN supports implementation on both hardware and software platforms. ASIC and FPGA based hardware methods are supported. Moreover, development with software protocol stacks on a general purpose Ethernet chip is also possible for both master and slave devices. In all cases, 100Mbit and 1Gbit physical layers are supported.
- This flexibility permits device vendors to develop products by the most optimal methods while minimizing time to market. This results in a wider range of products for end users.
(1) Smart integration of control and information communication
- Achieve smart factories by integrating IT system information communication and other open protocols on the same network while running real time control.
(2) System using general-purpose IP communication devices and high performance motion control
- By using CC-Link IE TSN compatible servo amplifiers and machine vision, time synchronization allows the vision system to accurately detect the workpiece position while it is moving. Therefore significant cycle time decrease and reduced wiring is enabled.
- Also, even when transferring large capacity images from machine vision systems by IP communication, it is possible to construct a single network system with reduced wiring without affecting the servo control.