A short discussion on how to interconnect a Melsec FX PLC to a PC with GX Works 2 PLC Engineering Software for programmative purposes.
Some Considerations to take into account:
- This interconnection is achieved via the FX-USB-AW interface. There is another older version to connect as well, known as the red SC-09 cable.
- When using the FX-USB-AW cable, a USB connection is to be used. When using an SC-09 cable, an additional interface cable is required.
- The SC-09 cable is to be connected to the USB to serial converter (RS-232).
- The drivers of the USB to serial converter needs to be installed correctly and must be reflected as such in Device Manager. (This can be a 3rd party interface device as well.)
- The settings in RS-232 communication settings, such as addressing and baud rate needs to be set up correctly in Device Manager.
- Only now can the PLC program be opened and the connection settings being setup.
- The Serial communication settings (in GX Developer and GX Works2) needs to reflect that of the device manager (port number, baud rate, etc)
- After the connection settings being set up and confirmed, then you can connect to the PLC and read\write
- The download is TO the PLC (Write). Upload is TO the PC (Read).
- After you wrote your program to the PLC – restart the PLC (reset).
- This is done via the switch.
- After the PLC is reset and started again (switch) – only two green LEDs are to be displayed, being the POWER and RUN.
- Any additional red indication lights (Such as error or battery) are problems to be attended to
Interconnection between the Melsec-FX PLC and GX Works2 (GX Developer) via SC-09
The following video demonstration of interconnection to an FX PLC via GX Works2 via SC-09 Interface.